More than 300 members of the Bryn Mawr College community and neighbors have taken the Black at Bryn Mawr walking tour since it debuted in April 2015.
The last public tours for the project took place during Reunion 2016. Through June 17, 2016, walking tours were also available by request for individuals, groups, and class visits; email Monica Mercado (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details or to schedule. This pages serves as a record of all tours offered between 2015-2016.
Spring 2016 schedule
- Friday and Saturday, May 27 and 28, as part of Bryn Mawr Reunion 2016
- Thursday, March 31, as part of the New England Deans conference
- Thursday, March 24 [private tour]
Fall 2015 schedule
- Friday, October 23 at 2:00pm, as part of Bryn Mawr College Family Weekend
- Friday, October 16, 2015, as part of the Black at Bryn Mawr Fall Workshop
- Saturday, October 3 at 2:30 pm, as part of the College’s alumnae volunteer summit
- Tuesday, September 15 at 11:30 am [private tour for Emily Balch Seminars 25 & 26, “Changing Our Story: Shifting Identities, Altering Environments“]
- Thursday, September 10 [private tour for History B243 students]
- Wednesday, August 26 at 4 pm, as part of Bryn Mawr College new faculty orientation
* * *
Summer 2015 schedule
- Friday, July 10 at 4:30 pm for high school students participating in the Girls Justice League Summer Institute 2015
- Wednesday, June 3 at 10 am for Bi-Co Dalun Summer Action Research Fellows
- On May 30, 2015, Grace Pusey and Monica Mercado offered the Black at Bryn Mawr walking tour to thirty-five Bryn Mawr College alumnae/i and friends as part of Reunion 2015. At tour’s end, former residents of Perry House stopped for a picture to commemorate the building. For more information, follow the official #ProjectPerry blog.
* * *
Spring 2015 schedule
- Thursday, April 23 at 5pm [RSVP]
- Friday April 24 at 2:30pm [RSVP] followed by Friday Finds (see below)
- Saturday, April 24 at 2:30pm [RSVP]
- Saturday, May 2 at 4:00pm [RSVP]
Monday, May 4 at 12:00pm [RSVP]TOUR FULL AS OF 4/22/15
- Wednesday, May 6 at 1:30pm [RSVP]
- Tuesday, April 21 at 9:55am for students in ENGL B264 Black Bards: Poetry in the Diaspora
- Tuesday, April 21 at 2:30pm for students in HIST B332 Higher Education for Women: Bryn Mawr and Beyond
Emma and Grace also presented the project as part of the following events:
- Day of Community Learning, Bryn Mawr College (open to all BMC faculty, staff, and students) – Wednesday, March 18, 11:45am – 1pm, Thomas 110 – sign up here.
- Telling Untold Histories: An Unconference for Public Historians, Rutgers University Camden – Friday, April 10, 9am-5:30pm. Grace, Emma, and Monica (with Brenna Levitin ’16) led a session, “Students Telling Untold Histories.” [schedule link]
- Friday Finds, Bryn Mawr College Special Collections (open to all BMC faculty, staff, and students) – Friday, April 24, 4-5pm in the Special Collections Seminar Room, Canaday Library room 205.
- Grace presented her digital mapping project at the Greenfield Digital Center conference Women’s History in the Digital World, at Bryn Mawr College on May 22, 2015.
Questions? Email Monica Mercado, advisor to the project, and Director of The Albert M. Greenfield Digital Center for the History of Women’s Education, at email@example.com